Houston Music Classes for Children
The following list is compiled from a ParentsPost Survey. They are recommendations made by other Houston area moms and dads.
VIVALDI MUSIC ACADEMY – 713-858-9617 – www.vivaldimusicacademy.com. TWO LOCATIONS IN WEST UNIVERSITY & BELLAIRE
- Vivaldi Music Academy, West U, 3914 Gramercy Street, Suite B, 713-858-9617
- Vivaldi Music Academy, Bellaire, 5305 Bissonnet Street, 832-404-2299.
Vivaldi Music Academy faculty developed the phenomenal Vivaldi Seasons, a series of early childhood music classes for a variety of age ranges: 9 months to 2 years, ages 2 to 3, ages 3 to 4 and ages 4 to 5. Each class is designed to provide a joyful musical atmosphere of play, song and dance while enhancing children’s social and intellectual development. “Our unique curriculum provides hands-on instrument exploration, in-class demonstrations by musicicans, faculty and older students, and correlates with musical events in our community,” says Zeljko Pavlovic, Director of Vivaldi Music Academy.
PRELUDE MUSIC CLASSES FOR CHILDREN – 832-803-7701
THREE LOCATIONS IN HOUSTON & SUGAR LAND
- Prelude Music Classes, 3701 W. Alabama, Suite 210
- First Methodist Houston, 1320 Main Street
- Great Play of Sugar Land, 4646 Highway Six SouthClasses use the Music Together curriculum, a music and movement program. Parent/Child classes are open to children from birth to 7 years old. There are special Baby classes for the tiniest music lovers up to 8 months old. Music Director Ana Trevino Godfrey is a classically trained soprano with a Doctorate of Music from Rice University. “Musical growth is best achieved in a playful and non-performance oriented learning environment,” she tells ParentsPost.com. “Participation and modeling of a parent is also essential. Parents must sing, dance, connect during a lullaby. Music builds lifelong memories.” Prelude also offers unique bilingual programs: Music Together with Spanish and Music Together with Hebrew. CLICK HERE for more information on PRELUDE MUSIC CLASSES
THE SHEPHERD SCHOOL OF MUSIC
2234 Alice Pratt Brown Hall, 713-348-3854
Rachel Buchman is the head the Young Children’s Division at Rice University’s Shepherd School of Music. Her classes are based on the eurhythmics principles and philosophy of Emile Jaques-Dalcroze. They are offered to children ages 2-9. With her highly respected program, Buchman is quick to emphasize that music education starts at home. “Music can be a great source of joy for the family. It’s important that parents play music at home and sing with their children. They are the first educators, the first responders,” she says. “Singing has so many benefits. Singing helps them speak more clearly and cheers their spirits.”
LYRIC MUSIC STUDIO
The Heights, email@example.com
Lyric Music Studio has been in business for 22 years. Group music lessons start at age 3 with Kindermusic. “Making music is a human birthright,” Lyric Music Studio tells ParentsPost.com. “People love to make music, and we all deserve a safe environment in which to explore our ideas and musical imaginations. The classes meet the students where they are emotionally, and their own desire motivates them to focus and accomplish amazing musical feats.”
Upper Kirby Studio, 3455 Kirby Drive, 713-661-1254
Bellaire Studio, 5110 Spruce Street, 713-661-1254
This school is affiliated with The Music Class education program founded by Rob Sayer. Instructors are experienced musical theater performers or music teachers. Parent/Child classes begin with babies as young as 4 months and go up to 4 years old. Children play with balls, puppets, bubbles and even kitchen pots. A free trial can be arranged by appointment.